Friday, January 9, 2015

Kakuma Refugee Camp, March 2014: My last deployment before retirement

Trees. Bushes. Rocks. Dust. Kakuma Refugee Camp. Kenya.

--from Julianne
In 14 years the trees and bushes have changed dramatically. The rocks and dust are the same.
Kakuma Refugee Camp has been home to about 120,000 refugees for the last 20 years. Although it is different refugees the population remains fairly constant. There is enough war in East Africa to keep the refugee camp freshly supplied when one or another group manages to leave for home or for resettlement. It was also home to me for a year—the year 2000. It was home to me again for 3 weeks in 2014.
I was posted here during the year 2000 when I had the privilege of organizing Sudanese refugee children and young men and women –commonly known as the Lost Boys--for possible resettlement to the United States. I worked for UNHCR for a year until I returned home to assist with their resettlement in the United States.
Fourteen years later, I returned with a circuit ride of officers of the Refugee Affairs Division of USCIS, interviewing some refugee families being considered for resettlement to the United States. It is my last circuit ride and a grand exit from the work world as I enter retirement in a few weeks.
Trees. Bushes. Greenery.
This is what strikes me first compared to my earlier time in the area. This is a desert. Virtually no rainfall. Riverbeds in which I have never seen water. When I lived here, I could count the 10 or so trees in the general refugee camp environs. There were no trees to count outside of the camp that I noticed.
Now, trees abound and shrubs fill gullies and surround refugee houses. There was an NGO working actively at creating protected areas for trees and planting hundreds in the camp and in the whole area. 14 years later, the trees have grown and prospered. Dignitaries plant trees when visiting. I suppose that the vegetation has helped retain ground water and generally diminished dust storms in this sparse desert. Fire wood is supplied to refugees now too so every little stick in the area is not burned. Efficient stoves are supplied too so less fuel is needed. The incremental beneficial effects of hundreds of donations and hours of volunteer labor have actually been effective.
Rocks. Dust.
These remain constant. The whole N region west of Lake Turkana is a vast plain of volcanic remains. Cones, craters and oozes of lava everywhere. Between ridges of basalt, fine dust creates the desert floor. The vast winds of the Sahara swirl south to this area; with little to stop them, winds create dust storms so thick you can’t see or breathe. Maybe this is a better year or the vegetation has had the intended beneficial effect—the dust these 3 weeks is not as bad as the dust in 2000. But the wind remains fierce.
Heat.
Another constant. But now, my great good fortune is that our living and working quarters have air conditioning. How did I stand it before? More than 100,000 people live in the heat, dust and harsh conditions. Local Kenyans are mainly Turkana and some Somali. Refugees are from all of East Africa from Congo to Burundi to Eritrea to Somalia. Compelling tales of persecution when interviewed for resettlement. This harsh refugee camp is their safe haven. Local Kenyans cluster in Kakuma because there is water from wells drilled by the UN and jobs because of the refugee economy. Others continue their nomadic life raising camels and goats in the desert, exploiting a harsh environment.
Birds.
Harsh environment for wildlife too. Sparse resources. Birds here are unusual species and sub-species who have adjusted to this bio-zone. First light and sunrise is a cooler time of day and my morning walk reveals the species beginning to nest as winter ends. A few migrants beginning to move north; more to the east at L. Turkana where they follow the rift valley going north.
Fortunate.
Me having an opportunity to spend the year 2000 here and getting to know the amazing people who worked here and refugees who sought safe haven here. Me, having the good fortune to have worked in several parts of the system where dedicated people are doing what they can to help. Me again, seeing refugees take steps toward a future life in the United States. And me again, leaving the harsh conditions for an easier life and a retirement in which I can reflect on lives I would otherwise never have known.
Thanks all.

No comments:

Post a Comment