Sunday, September 6, 2015

More Iceland: Quirky things that caught my eye



As I prepare to leave Iceland, I think I have many other things that I want to remember and that I think others will find interesting.  A blog does not do the country justice--it is stunningly lovely and people are really nice.  No crime to speak of.  It is even safe to hitch-hike.

In seven days of wandering around, many things caught my eye.  The landscape is stunning.  The varieties of lava cannot be comprehended. I had to promise myself not to take any more lava photos. But the human factor reveals a quirky, pleasant country.  I just can't take the time to explain everything--you will have to come yourself.  But here are some shots of things I liked.

In Akureryi, the largest city in the north, the local museum has a display of the clothes worn by the world's first woman president. Vigdis Finborgsdottir was elected 1980 and hosted Ronald Reagan during the crucial summit with Gorbachev.  I think it is a bit odd that the exhibit focused on her clothing in a country which has no emphasis on social status.  But her clothes were classy and beautiful, I must say.



The same museum has an exhibit of dried fish.  I can't get away from them.  I actually had an Icelander say they love dried fish.  Go figure.



Now fish is mainly frozen and shipped from various ports.


Iceland poppies growing wild along the highway.  Few flowers are in season as it is nearly winter.



Textile art
Blonduos, a biggish town in the North. The light poles have knitted sweaters and the rocks have crocheted doilies.  Textile museum there but closed for the day.







Churches
Churches are everywhere.  Little churches from earlier centuries are out in the countryside near farms.  Modern churches are in towns.  Most Icelanders identify as Lutheran and churches remain active.






Farm gate


A modern version of the keel used by the Vikings beginning about 700.  This significant improvement in shipbuilding enabled the long journey necessary to reach Iceland.  This is at the home area of Leif Erikson who traveled to North America using ships made with this kind of keel.


I do not know what this is dedicated to but sculpture in this general style is fairly common in public settings, usually as a commemoration.



A local businessman is arranging the construction of Iceland's Stonehenge. This is in the northernmost town in the country, Rayfarhofn.  He has aligned it with the summer solstice.  Plans are for a fairly large area but construction takes place as he has funds and workers.



1 comment:

  1. I demand dress missed something, however there are a numerous of pairs in this cool who could spry graded the carriers. vacation rental Arizona

    ReplyDelete