Friday, October 2, 2015

Driving in Britain

My car in England and Wales.  Same as the Pope, a Fiat 500.

Driving is really necessary to get to many of the places I want to see around Britain although I have train and boat journeys as part of the mix too.  Since we Americans are drivers and pretty car-oriented, I am trying to do a little riff on cars and driving for comparison in each country where I drive.  Should have done one in Ireland but had not really thought of it.  Too late now.

It looks to me as though the pattern here is much like in the U.S.--other than London, most people have cars and do much of their basic getting around by car.  On the other hand, there is a significant rail system and people use trains when we might not even think of it.  Two people I met while birding from the Essex area preferred a 10 hour train ride with changes to a 5-6 hour car journey--they could not imagine driving that far.

Cars here tend to be European models and on the small side.  My little Fiat is typical.  Other than Ford, which they make in Britain, I do not see any American brands.  Asian cars are around but European cars predominate as you might expect in the EU.

Cost
Cost of driving may be a factor.  I do not know the cost comparison for their trip but fuel is fairly high here.

Gas costs between 1.08 and 1.22 per liter which rounds out to about 6.45 per gallon.  My Fiat is getting about 43 miles/gal.  The little VW I drove in Shetland was about the same. Diesel cars are popular and diesel costs just a little less but gets more miles per gallon.

I rented again from AutoEurope and am paying about $650 for a month's rental.  Shetland was higher from a local company--about $300/week.  Considering the cost of car rental in the U.S., I think these are bargain rates.  I have the smallest car in the fleet, as I did in Iceland.

Infrastructure
Roads are convenient and remarkably well maintained.  Everywhere, roads are paved and in very good repair. Buses and trains are also clean and in good repair here as in other countries.  I don't know how they do it as we seem unable in the U.S.  I have been driving on a combination of motorways (which are similar to our interstate highways) to very tiny back roads. There are short and long-distance walking paths too but I mainly see people walking their dogs or hiking the coast trail for recreation.  People do not seem to walk to do their chores like groceries and the like.  Similarly, bicycles seem to be a recreation thing, not basic transport for the most part.

I like trains and love ferry boats so I have been enjoying those modes of transport too.  I have a Senior Railcard which makes train travel a bargain and I am going to end my time in Britain with a train journey from Penzance to Edinburgh for about $170, to give a comparison figure.

VW UP! which I drove in Shetland, also showing road with no potholes or cracks.

Fiat 500 in front of my house in Llanwnda

Some random country road.  I am really impressed with the good condition of all the roads. Bus service is everywhere, too.


1 comment:

  1. My Efficients coach assigned us to voice the ilk of Preservation to the commercial well-circumstance of the status. Propitious to think writing indenture career canada, they showed me that mysterious audit alongsides snub to absolute approaches could produced the needed calmness for my econ map. So beholden. vacation rental Arizona

    ReplyDelete