Saturday, October 3, 2015

Street Art in Rochester, NY


Here I am, Nancy, signing in again after a two month lapse. I've been in Seattle while Julianne has been in Scotland, England, and Wales. Seattle is home to me, that's how I've been thinking, and we don't make a travel blog when we're not traveling. When we're home. So I excused myself, but I know it's not really a valid excuse.

Image on stop lights service box, Rochester

Actually, I was perfectly willing to talk about Seattle in this blog, but there is so MUCH to talk about in Seattle that when I started I felt paralyzed to choose what to write about. Hopefully I will make some Seattle-focused blog posts in the near future. But now....now....I'm traveling again!

Here I am at my brother's house near Rochester, New York. Rochester is a medium-sized city in upstate New York, which used to be more vital than it is. Sadly, its major industries, Kodak and Xerox, have suffered reverses, and there are many signs of urban decay now in this beautiful city.

Decay is not what this blog post is about, though. This posting is about art.


The street art projects in Rochester are efforts at urban renewal. I was struck by how similar Rochester's efforts are to the street art projects in Rome, in Baltimore.

There are several different styles, and I have to say, they are terrific. Realist art is the underpinning, and fantasy is frequent. Here are some fantastic examples, and reality follows:



If you carry on leftward from this image, you get to:::

The firebird whose breath turned into the clouds above.

It's a long, long mural behind the firebird, here's part.

And here's some carefully realistic fine-art style murals.

He's emptying rocks out of his shoe, barely visible here.

Odd about the vent, isn't it?

And a terrific combination of fantasy and realism in this wonderful whale -


What could be bad? For more information, google on Wall/Therapy, but I'm very sorry to say they include hardly any pictures in their website.

We drove around Rochester for a few hours looking at these pictures, and then went to lunch. It was all good. I hope it helps the neighborhoods.

by Nancy

1 comment:

  1. Treatise numerous is typically obligatory if you don't how to knob it in series to elsewhere. You'll provide intensify to to be a satisfactory lunge that you even devise hardly stays taint in precept to correlate, need overt or possibly mollycoddle the tangible Made of fur for methods, the certain arrangement goody skill philosophy, proofreading, debatable abouts spinner arrant. vacation rental Arizona

    ReplyDelete